Media was built for Cunard White-Star Line in 1947 as a cargo and passenger vessel, and along with her sister Parthia, Media was Cunard’s first postwar ships; entering service in 1947
The duo were built to run the Liverpool – New York service; and each ship was equipped to carry 250 first class passengers in highly luxurious and private appointments.
In 1953, Denny Brown fin stabilisers were installed aboard Media. The stabilisers reduced shipboard movement and created a much more comfortable crossing. The stabilisers were so successful that Cunard went on to install them aboard other liners including the Queens.
By the late 1950s, jet airliners had rendered Media’s passenger role redundant. To add to this, new purpose built cargo ships entering service; reducing Media’s competitiveness on the cargo trade.
In 1961 Media was sold to Cogedar Line and rebuilt as a passenger liner. The ship was Flavia. In 1969, Flavia was further refurbished to operate solely as a cruise ship and renamed Flavian. In 1982 she was sold again and this time renamed Lavia. During a refit when a fire broke out aboard; resulting in significant damage. The damaged ship was never rebuilt and was later scrapped.
Image source: Simplon Post Cards