Lucania was a new breed of Cunarder when construction started on the liner in 1891.
Her design relied completely on steam power meaning she had no auxiliary sails. This was made possible thanks to a significant improvement in the reciprocating engines; as well as twin screws which allowed the ship to achieve a record breaking speed on the north Atlantic.
Lucania and her sister Campania had the largest triple expansion reciprocating engines ever fitted to a Cunard liner (as Cunard later opted for turbines). So large were these engines they protruded above the hull of the liner requiring a special deck house to be built to shelter them. In fact, the engines pushed the limits of that technology and still rank today as some of the largest reciprocating engines ever built.
Lucania pioneered a number of firsts including exceptionally well planned out watertight compartments, and in the early 20th century, wireless technology was fitted aboard.
Lucania was retired in 1909 having been superseded by the much larger, faster and more luxurious Mauretania and Lusitania. She was damaged by a fire while laid up and was later sold for scrap.
Image sourced with permission from: Simplon Post Cards