Since entering service in 2004, Queen Mary 2 has become a firm favourite among Cunard travellers. When the ship joined the Cunard fleet she was the largest, longest, tallest, widest and most expensive passenger ship ever built. Today she remained the biggest Ocean Liner to ever set sail. Here you can learn more about Queen Mary 2’s design specifications and learn some fun facts.
- Name: Queen Mary 2 (QM2).
- Gross Tonnage: 149,215 tons.
- Length: 1132 feet / 345.03 metres.
- Beam: 135 feet / 41.14 metres.
- Beam at Bridge Wings: 147.5 feet / 44.95 metres.
- Draft: 32 feet, 10 inches / 9.75 metres.
- Height (Keel to Funnel): 237 feet / 72.23 metres.
- Passenger Capacity: 2,695 people.
- Standard Crew Capacity: 1,253 people.
- Top Speed: Approximately 30 knots (34.5 mph / 55.56km/h).
- Power: 157,000 hp / 117074.88 kW.
- Propulsion: Four pods of 20 MW each; 2 fixed and 2 rotating (360 degrees).
- Stabilisers: Two sets of Denny Brown stabilisers.
- Port of Registry: Hamilton (2011 – ) Southampton (2003 – 2011).
- Callsign: ZCEF6 (2011 – ) GBQM (2003 – 2011).
- Fleet Status: Flagship of the Cunard Fleet.
- Cost: $800 million USD.
Some fun QM2 Facts
- QM2 is five times longer than Cunard’s first ship, Britannia – in fact Britannia could fit into QM2’s Britannia Restaurant!
- QM2 is more than twice as long as the Washington Monument is tall.
- QM2 is 147 feet / 44.80 metres longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall.
- QM2 is more than 3 ½ times as long as Westminster Tower (Big Ben) is high.
- QM2 is only 117 feet / 35.66 metres shorter than the Empire State Building is tall.
- QM2 is more than three times as long as St. Paul’s Cathedral is tall.
- QM2 is as long as 36 London double decker buses.
- QM2’s whistles are audible for up to ten miles… One of QM2’s whistles was taken from her namesake, Queen Mary!
- Upon QE2’s retirement, QM2 became the fastest Ocean Liner in active service.
Is Queen Mary 2 bigger than Titanic?
Yes – Queen Mary 2 is much larger than Titanic. At 1,132ft long, she is 250ft longer than Titanic. In metric terms QM2 is 76.2 metres longer than Titanic. Queen Mary 2 is also wider, taller and faster than Titanic with a cruising speed some 7 knots faster than Titanic. While QM2 is much larger than Titanic, she only carries slightly more passengers than Titanic, with QM2 able to transport a maximum of 2,695 guests and Titanic 2,435.