Built by John Brown and Company, Clydebank, Scotland, for the Cunard Line - Servia was a twin funnel liner. She had four passenger decks and a promenade deck.
At the time of her launching in March 1881 she was the second largest of all ships in the world, measuring 515 feet long and 52.1 feet wide (SS Great Eastern was the largest). She made her maiden voyage in November 26, 1881 from Liverpool to New York.
The SS Servia was the first steel-hulled Cunarder. She was also the first ocean liner lit by electric incandescent lamps. Though she never attained the Blue Riband, Servia proved that steel hulls and electric lighting could work for transatlantic ships.
She was taken out of service and broken up in 1902.