Media was built for Cunard White-Star Line in 1947 as the cargo / passenger vessel.
Media and her sister ship Parthia were Cunard's first postwar ships. They were built for the Liverpool - New York route. Each ship carried 250 first class passengers and had good cargo capacity. Media made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on 20 August 1947.
In 1953, Media underwent a refit, and was fitted with Denny Brown fin stabilisers (the first transatlantic liner so fitted). The reduction in rolling that the stabilisers produced made for a much more comfortable crossing. In fact, so successful were the stabilisers that they were later fitted to RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth too.
By the late 1950s, Media's market for passengers was declining due to transatlantic jet services (such as the Boeing 707). New cargo ships entering service were also faster than Media, reducing her suitability for use on that trade.
In 1961 she was sold to the Italian Cogedar Line, rebuilt as an ocean liner and renamed Flavia. In 1969, she was refitted as a cruise ship and renamed Flavian. In 1982 she was sold again and renamed Lavia. She was undergoing a refit when a fire broke out aboard. The damage to her was so great that she was scrapped.